The gardening volunteers in Bushy Park focus on the Woodland Gardens but, with constant changes in the environment, other areas in the wider park may require additional help from time to time.
You will be working with other local volunteers, and from time to time with contractors. The commitment required is to be as regular as possible, usually one morning each week from Monday to Friday and more time can be given dependent on your availability.
We also have work placement students who are undertaking a Horticultural Qualification at a college course. The technical officer will give as much help as possible and work with the college if required. The student will need to be over 18. If you have any horticultural skills we would be delighted to hear from you but a willingness to learn is just as good. The nature of the requirements is constantly changing and as the restoration progresses, more maintenance work will be required.
If you would like to volunteer to support the project you would need to meet the following criteria:
- Attend 4 to 6 hours each session on a weekly basis.
- Undertake tasks allocated through the volunteer supervisor.
- Adhere to Health and Safety guidelines and attend all training in the safe use of hand tools which will be provided.
Experience / qualifications / attributes required:
- Knowledge of basic gardening is an advantage, not essential, to undertake tasks such as hand-weeding, pruning, planting shrub beds.
- Be independent and not require constant supervision.
- Able to fill out daily records of tasks carried out.
- Willingness to use and learn hand tools such as digging spades and secateurs.
- Availability to be contacted via mobile phone and/or landlines. Email use is an advantage as a means of communication between team members out of hours and to maintain contact with the Support Volunteer and Assistant Park Manager.
Tasks you will be contributing to includes:
- Removal of Rhododendron Ponticum and other shrubs
- Hoeing beds
- Pruning of shrubs
- Leaf raking
- Planting of bulbs and shrubs
- Clearing streams
- Clearing footpaths
- Conservation work in wildlife areas (Native Wood) and other areas of the park
Volunteers will develop skills in:
- Wildlife conservation
If you are interested in volunteering in Bushy Park, please contact Sharon Evans:
- Sharon Evans, Head Gardener/Technical Officer: telephone 0300 061 2256 or email SEvans@royalparks.gsi.gov.uk.