This is a permanent volunteer placement, for which we need at least two years commitment.
- Volunteers generally work in the garden on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, from 4-6 hours each day, and are allowed in on the other working days of the week.
- Volunteers will be working with very little supervision, although a Health and Safety induction and basic training in safe lifting and use of hand tools will be provided.
- We encourage people to work in groups to reduce lone-working.
As a volunteer you will need to adhere to The Royal Parks core values, which are that you will:
- Treat everyone with honesty, fairness, equality and respect;
- Be open, collaborative, supportive and professional;
- Be proud of who we are and strive for excellence in all we do; and
- Demonstrate integrity in your day-to-day work, trusting and empowering each other.
This volunteer placement is not a training opportunity and is not paid.
Experience / qualifications / attributes:
- Knowledge of basic garden maintenance is required to undertake tasks such as hand weeding and edging up planted shrub beds.
- Volunteers have to be self-sufficient and able to work on their own, since there is only minimal supervision.
- Volunteers are required to attend at least once a week Monday-Friday (10-4pm) for 4-6 hours.
- Able to fill out daily work records of tasks carried out.
- Willingness to use hand tools such as digging spades and secateurs.
- Able to be contacted via mobile phone and/or landline. Email use is an advantage as a means of communication between team members out of hours and to maintain contact with the Support Volunteer and Assistant Park Manager.
Volunteers will develop skills in:
- Community education
- Wildlife conservation
- Habitat management
If you are interested, then please email or call The Volunteer Coordinator, Lisa Stanford (0300 061 2181), who will discuss what we can offer in more detail.
If considered suitable, this will be followed by an informal meeting with the Assistant Park Manager including a visit to the garden.