Grow your classroom!
Bring the wonder of Hyde Park right into your classroom with this informative hands-on session. Our expert Learning staff will spend the day at your school, leading the “Grow Your Classroom” workshop for your Key Stage 2 students.
Your children will explore a variety of plants using all their senses, and discover what plants need to survive. They’ll take a closer look at the parts of a plant and their functions using microscopes, then plant an edible indoor garden suitable for all times of year to grow (and eat!) in your classroom. All students will also plant a seed to take home with them.
Benefits for you
- Up to four hours of hands-on curriculum-linked activities delivered by The Royal Parks’ expert educators.
- All essential resources and materials provided.
- Establishing your own classroom garden - a learning resource that will inspire fascination long after the visit.
- 15% discount on a class day at The LookOut, Hyde Park following our visit to you, to experience the hidden treasures of the park in spring or autumn term.
The Grow Your Classroom workshop will cover the following parts of the Key Stage 2 curriculum:
- Identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants: roots, stem/trunk, leaves and flower.
- Explore the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plant
- Investigate the way in which water is transported within plants.
- Explore the part that flowers play in the life cycle of flowering plants, including pollination, seed formation and seed dispersal.
- Describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.
Engaging and enjoyable for all children. Enthusiastic presenters – 5 stars
-Teacher, Harris Junior Academy Carshalton
Availability and requirements
Our outreach visits are currently available for Key Stage 2 to schools in Greater London.
Full terms and conditions are available on request, and details of our requirements for the visit will be sent to you when you book. To enable us to deliver our workshops to the highest standards, the key things that we will need are:
- To agree timings of the day with you at the time of booking. We will do our best to fit our workshops around the timings of your school day but have certain restrictions on this.
- Use of your school hall for the full duration of our sessions, plus one hour at the beginning of the visit for setup.
- Access to certain school facilities such as running water, tables and chairs.
We charge a flat fee of £260+VAT, all-inclusive.
This will usually cover two 2 hour sessions for a maximum of 32 children each. If you have different requirements (for example, shorter sessions) please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you. The cost for a visit will always be the same.
How to book
For further information or to make a booking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.