skip to main content
We use cookies to ensure we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use the website we assume that you are happy to receive these cookies.

On this page:

Boys with armorial shields on pillars

Name of monument  Boys with armorial shields on pillars
Description   Six stone piers topped by boys, each holding shields bearing the Bute coat of arms.
Location   St John's Lodge Garden, in front of St John's Lodge.
History\background   Installed probably for the Marquess of Bute who leased St John's Lodge in 1888
Designer   Three by Sir William Goscombe John in 1894; one by Harold Youngman in 1938 and two undated.
Dates   See above.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   Grade II listed structure.

[^ Back to top]

Boy and frog statue

Name of monument  Boy and frog statue
Description   Bronze figure of a boy and a frog on a pedestal of Finnish granite, set in a pond.
Location   Alongside the Tritton Fountain in Queen Mary's Garden.
History\background   Donated by Sigismund Goetze, a local artist and supporter of The Regent's Park.
Designer   Sir William Reid Dick.
Dates   1936
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   Grade II listed. Sir William Reid Dick was a contemporary of William McMillan, designer of the Tritton Fountain.

[^ Back to top]

Fossil trees

Name of monument  Fossil trees
Description   Specimens of fossilised wood.
Location   Near the waterfall in Queen Mary's Gardens.
History\background   Placed in the garden by the Royal Botanical Society
Designer   
Dates   About 1845
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   Excavated from the Lower Purbeck beds in Dorset formed 150 million years ago

[^ Back to top]

The Goatherd's Daughter statue

Name of monument  The Goatherd's Daughter statue
Description   Grade II listed bronze of a woman carried a young goat.
Location   St John's Lodge Garden, north east of Inner Circle.
History\background   Erected in honour of Harold and Gertrude Baillie Weaver by the National Council for Animal Welfare. Moved in 1994 within the extended garden at St John's Lodge.
Designer   Charles Leonard Hartwell.
Dates   1932
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   The inscription reads: "To all the Protectors of the Defenceless". The designer received the Royal British Society of Sculptors Silver Medal for this statue.

[^ Back to top]

Griffin or Lion Tazza

Name of monument  Griffin or Lion Tazza. Sometimes called the Lion Vase
Description   Large circular stone bowl supported by four winged stone lions.
Location   To the left of the main path, in the centre of the Avenue Gardens.
History\background   Installed in the Italian-style Avenue Gardens by William Andrews Nesfield.
Designer   Austin and Seeley.
Dates   1863
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   One of about 30 stone vases in the Avenue Gardens. The Tazza was repaired during the restoration of the gardens in 1993-1996.

[^ Back to top]

Hylas and the Nymph statue

Name of monument  Hylas and the Nymph statue
Description   Grade II listed bronze statue of a boy and a mermaid on a stone pedestal, set in a stone-rimmed pond.
Location   St John's Lodge Garden, north east of Inner Circle.
History\background   Donated by the Royal Academy of Arts.
Designer   Henry Pegram.
Dates   1933
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   In Greek mythology, Hylas was one of the Argonauts, the heroes who accompanied Jason on the quest for the Golden Fleece. During the journey, Hylas was kidnapped by the nymph of spring and never seen again.

[^ Back to top]

Jubilee Gates

Name of monument  Jubilee Gates
Description   Grade II listed grand iron and gilded semi-circular gates.
Location   Main entrance to Queen Mary's Gardens near York Bridge, off Inner Circle.
History\background   Installed to mark the Silver Jubilee of King George V and the official opening of Queen Mary's Gardens in 1935.
Designer   
Dates   1935
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   Donated by Sigismund Goetze, a successful local artist.

[^ Back to top]

Ready Money drinking fountain

Name of monument  Ready Money drinking fountain
Description   Four-sided granite and marble gothic drinking fountain.
Location   North end of the Broad Walk.
History\background   Given to the park in 1869 by Sir Cowasjee Jehangir, a wealthy Parsee industrialist from Bombay, whose nickname was Ready Money. It was his thank-you for the protection he and fellow Parsees received from British rule in India.
Designer   
Dates   1869
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   One of the largest drinking fountains in London. Contains 10 tonnes of Sicilian marble and four tonnes of red Aberdeen granite. It was unveiled by Princess Mary of Teck, later Queen Mary after whom Queen Mary's Gardens are named.

[^ Back to top]

Shakespeare's Tree

Name of monument  Shakespeare's Tree
Description   Oak tree.
Location   The slope of Primrose Hill.
History\background   A replacement tree for a young oak planted in 1864 to mark the 300th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth.
Designer   
Dates   Present tree planted 1964.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   A large crowd of workmen marched through London to watch the planting ceremony in 1864.

[^ Back to top]

Triton fountain

Name of monument  Triton fountain
Description   Queen Mary's Garden, opposite the Jubilee Gates.
Location   Bronze sculptures of a sea god or triton blowing on a conch shell with two mermaids at his feet. The group stand in the centre of a round pool.
History\background   Sigismund Goetze donated the pond and after he died, his wife Constance donated the fountain in his memory.
Designer   William McMillan.
Dates   1950
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks
Interesting facts   The fountain is on the site of a huge conservatory measuring over 1,700 sq m. The conservatory belonged to the Royal Botanical Society, which gave up the site in 1931. William McMillan designed one of the fountains in Trafalgar Square.

[^ Back to top]

search