Cavalry Memorial


The Cavalry Memorial is a bronze sculpture, which represents St George on horseback stepping over a defeated dragon, with a frieze of galloping horsemen around the base. The memorial commemorates members of the Cavalry Regiments killed during World War 1.

Designed by Adrian Jones, an army vet, the sculpture contains bronze which came from guns captured during World War 1. The base was designed by Sir John Burnet. 

Originally installed in 1924 at Stanhope Gate, the Cavalry Memorial was moved to its present site near the bandstand in 1961, following the widening of Park Lane.

The Cavalry Memorial also contains a bronze plaque which lists the cavalry of the Empire. The text has been updated to include later conflicts.