Erected in memory of Royal Marines who died in the Boxer Rebellion Campaign in China and the Boer War in southern Africa, these two bronze figures on a Portland stone plinth, were designed by Adrian Jones in 1903.
The base is decorated with bronze plaques by Sir Thomas Graham Jackson depicting the battles and Roll of Honour of the two original campaigns.
The memorial was originally positioned in the Cambridge Enclosure in St James' Park and was unveiled by HRH The Prince of Wales, the Royal Marines Colonel in Chief, on April 25 1903. In 1940 it was put in storage to make way for the building of The Citadel. It was moved to its present position on The Mall in 1948.
In 2000 it became the Royal Marines National Memorial and is the focus of the annual Graspan Parade.