Monuments in Greenwich Park


Name of monument   Anglo-Saxon barrow cemetery
Description   Burial mounds. Scheduled ancient monument.
Location   Croom's Hill: south of The Avenue and west of the Meridian Line.
History\background   Excavations in the 18th century found glass beads, wool and hair, as well as shields and swords. This suggests the burial mounds were pagan, rather than Christian, graves. There were probably about 50 mounds, although many are now hard to see.
Designer    
Dates   6-7th century.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   Plans for a reservoir in the early 19th century caused local outrage when people thought the burial mounds would be damaged. Work stopped and the reservoir was moved further south.

Name of monument   Conduit or Standard House
Description   Red brick building with a pitched roof.
Location   Near King George Street Gate, west side of park, near Croom's Hill.
    Built to give access to an underground water reservoir and brick tunnels that supplied natural ground water from the Greenwich escarpment to the Royal Hospital for Seamen.
Designer   Possibly by Nicholas Hawksmoor.
Dates   c1710.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   The underground tunnels are large enough to stand up inside.

Name of monument   General James Wolfe (1727-1759)
Description    
Location   Viewpoint near the Royal Observatory Greenwich, overlooking the north section of Greenwich Park.
History\background   The statue commemorates Wolfe's victory against the French at Quebec which secured Canada for the British. Wolfe, whose parents lived in Macartney House on the edge of the park, died in the battle. The monument, a Grade II listed structure, was a gift of the Canadian people.
Designer   Dr Tait Mackenzie.
Dates   1930.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   The monument was unveiled by the Marquis de Montcalm, a descendant of the Commander-in-Chief of French forces who also died at the Battle of Quebec.

Name of monument  

Queen Caroline's bath remains              

Description   Remains of a tiled plunge bath.
Location   Near Chesterfield Gate in SW corner of Greenwich Park
History\background   The bath belonged to Caroline, estranged wife of King George IV, who lived at Montague House on the edge of Greenwich Park from 1798-13. She held notoriously boisterous parties and in the early years of the 19th century, rumours circulated that she had an illegitimate child. A royal commission cleared her of adultery but said her behaviour was open to "unfavourable interpretations". She left England for Europe in 1814 and Montague House was demolished a year later.
Designer    
Dates   1798-1813
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   The arch in the wall was bricked up but the bathhouse survived. The bath itself was filled in during the 1980s and for nearly 20 years the only sign of it was a plaque. In 2001, the Royal Parks excavated the bath with funding from the Friends of Greenwich Park, Greenwich Society, the Friends of Ranger's House and individual donations.

Name of monument   Queen Elizabeth Oak
Description   Huge fallen trunk of an ancient tree.
Location   South end of Lover's Walk, near Maze Hill Gate.
History\background   The tree may have been growing since the 12th century. It died in the 19th century but was propped up by ivy until it fell over in 1991.
Designer    
Dates   c12th century
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   Traditional stories tell how Queen Elizabeth I picnicked near the tree and that her father and mother, King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn danced around it. Its hollow trunk was big enough to make a small room that may have been used to lock up people who misbehaved in the park.