skip to main content
We use cookies to ensure we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use the website we assume that you are happy to receive these cookies.

On this page:

Diana Fountain

Name of monument  Diana Fountain
Description   Bronze statue of goddess (sometimes described as Arethusa) on a marble and stone fountain, surrounded by bronzes of four boys, four water nymphs and four shells.
Location   Centre of the round basin at the junction of Chestnut and Lime Avenues.
History\background   Designed for Henrietta Maria, wife of King Charles l and originally set in her garden at Somerset House. It was moved to the Privy Garden of Hampton Court in 1656. In 1712 the fountain and statue were moved to Bushy Park to the middle of Chestnut Avenue, designed by Sir Christopher Wren. The fountain was restored in 2009 as part of the Bushy Park Restoration Project.
Designer   Hubert Le Sueur.
Dates   Statue designed in 1637.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   Le Sueur submitted an invoice for £200 for the statue. The exact weight and height of the statue (2.38m tall and 924kg) were confirmed for the first time when it was moved for restoration. During restoration, a stone was uncovered on the base of the statue for the first time. It had a crown and the date AR 1712 (AR for Anne Regis) and would have been added when the fountain and statue were installed in the basin.

[^ Back to top]

SHAEF Gate

Name of monument  SHAEF Gate
Description   Metal pedestrian gate.
Location   In the park wall between Teddington and Sandy Lane Gates.
History\background   Commemorates D-day (6 June 1944) which was planned at the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces based in Bushy Park between March and June 1944 (see SHAEF Memorial).
Dates   Installed 1994.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   The gate marks the former main entrance to the camp used by SHAEF, headed by General Eisenhower. You can still see four trees that were once in the middle of a roundabout just inside the former camp entrance.

[^ Back to top]

SHAEF Memorial

Name of monument  SHAEF Memorial
Description   White flagpole and ground plaque.
Location   East of Teddington Gate.
History\background   On 5 March 1944 General Eisenhower moved SHAEF (Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces) from Grosvenor Square in London to Camp Griffiss, a large US base in Bushy Park. From here he planned Operation Overlord, the code name of the D-Day landings in Normandy. On 2 June 1944 the advance headquarters moved to Portsmouth and the landings took place on 6 June.
Dates   Installed 1994 on the 50th anniversary of SHAEF moving to Bushy Park.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   The plaque marks the position of Eisenhower's office. He is said to have relaxed by sketching the pine trees that he could see from his office window. The final buildings of Camp Griffiss were removed in 1963 but there are still signs of the camp, including brackets in trees that held telephone wires.

[^ Back to top]

Totem Pole

Name of monument  Totem Pole
Description   Wooden carved totem pole.
Location   North of the Waterhouse Pond in the Waterhouse Woodland Garden.
History\background   Installed to mark the connection between Canada and Bushy Park, which housed a large Canadian camp during World War l.
Designer   Norman Tait.
Dates   1992
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   The Totem Pole was donated with the assistance of the Canadian High Commission. At its base is Killerwhale, the monarch of the sea, and on top Eagle, the monarch of the air. They represent contact between Europeans and native Americans, first by sea and then by air.

[^ Back to top]

USAAF Memorial

Name of monument  USAAF Memorial
Description   Tablet marking the site of Camp Griffiss, the European headquarters of the United States 8th Army Air Force from July 1942-December 1944.
Location   East of Teddington Gate.
History\background   Dedicated by the Royal Air Force, the memorial is inscribed with the words: "It is through fraternity that liberty is saved". It also commemorates the Berlin Airlift, which was coordinated from Camp Griffiss after World War II ended.
Dates   In 1999 HRH the Prince of Wales unveiled a plaque to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the lifting of the blockade on Berlin.
Maintenance\care   The Royal Parks.
Interesting facts   Camp Griffiss was named after Lieutenant colonel Townsend Griffiss, the first US airman to die in the line of duty in Europe after the US entered World War II.

[^ Back to top]

search