The Triton Fountain is a group of bronze sculptures that depict a sea god or triton blowing on a conch shell with two mermaids at his feet. The group stand in the centre of a round pool.
The sculpture group in the Triton fountain was given in Sigismund Goetze's memory by his wife, in 1950. Goetze was a wealthy and successful artist, who from 1909 to 1939, lived in Grove House (now Nuffield House) on the northern perimeter of The Regent's Park. He had a studio in the grounds and painted the walls of the music room with scenes from Ovid's Metamorphoses. His wife was the founder of the Constance Fund which donated fountains to Green Park and Hyde Park.
The fountain is on the site of a huge conservatory measuring over 1,700 sq m. The conservatory belonged to the Royal Botanical Society, which gave up the site in 1931.
The sculptures were designed by William McMillan, who also designed one of the fountains in Trafalgar Square.