The Anglo-Saxon Barrow Cemetery is an ancient burial ground which dates back to the 6-7th century. It is located at Croom's Hill, south of The Avenue and west of the Meridian Line.
Excavations in the 18th century found glass beads, wool and hair, as well as shields and swords. This suggests the burial mounds were pagan, rather than Christian, graves. There were probably about 50 mounds, although many are now hard to see.
There are approximately 1000 recorded sites of Anglo-Saxon inhumation burials in England, but only around 40 are barrow cemeteries. This one is amongst the largest, making it especially significant.
Plans for a reservoir in the early 19th century caused local outrage when people thought the burial mounds would be damaged. Work stopped and the reservoir was moved further south.