The Serpentine Lido is, arguably, London's most iconic 'open water' swimming location.
Alongside the Serpentine Lido is the Lido Cafe Bar which has waterside tables and is the ideal place to enjoy a snack, meal or a glass of wine.
The Serpentine Swimming Club is the oldest swimming club in Britain. They swim every day in the Lido area between 5:30 am and 9:30 am and also during the famous race on Christmas day.
The Lido is open for public swimming on weekends from mid-May, and every day between June and Mid-September.
Opening time: 10:00
Closing time: 18:00
- Adult: £7.00
- Child: £3.50 (3 to 15 years old)
- Family: £15.00 (2 adults and up to 4 children) (Supervision ratios apply)
- Concessions: £4.00
- Sunbed: £11.00
- Locker: £2.00
Morning or Afternoon session
(10:00 - 13:30 and 14:30 - 18:00)
- Adult: £5.50
- Child: £2.00 (3 to 15 years old)
- Family: £13.00 (2 adults and up to 4 children) (Supervision ratios apply)
- Concessions: £3.00
- Locker: £2.00
Late afternoon sessions
(16:00 – 18:00)
- Adult: £2.00
- Child: £1.50 (3 to 15 years old)
- Locker: £2.00
Children under 3 years are free of charge. Carers are free of charge. All children must be accompanied by an adult who is 18 years old or above and is a competent swimmer. Young persons aged 16 - 17 years, students and adults over 65 years are eligible for concessions with a valid ID.
Conditions of use
Children under the age of 16 years old will not be permitted access unless accompanied by an adult who 18 is years old or above and is a competent swimmer. Children must be directly supervised by an adult who is 18 years old and above at all times.
The required ratio of adults to children is set out below:
|Swimmer age||Supervision required|
|< 3 years||1:1|
|> 3 years to < 8 years||1:2|
|> 8 years to < 14 years||1:3|
|> 14 years to < 18 years||1:4|
|> 16 years to < 18 years||No supervision|
Entry to the lido is only permitted from the manned entrance gate adjacent to the pavilion.
Please can all entrants to the lido beachhead register at reception (including care-givers and children) They’ll be advised of any important risk at the point of booking online and at the point of entry; there may be additional risks for example, for open water swimmers with underlying health conditions (such as asthma, heart conditions etc) and open wounds.
Our priority is customer safety at all time and our staff will accommodate customers with specific cultural, medical or other requirements where possible.
Please can all children aged under 18 be supervised by an adult who is a competent swimmer, at all times.
Pushchairs can be brought onto the beach head.
Please can all swimmers wear suitable swimwear, including:
- Swimming costume/short/trunks designed for water-based activities
- Body suit or Burqini designed for water-based activities
- Leggings made from a lycra-based material
- Lycra-based, ‘comfortably’ fitting, top/vest (known as a rash vest)
- Wet suit
- Swimmers’ caps and sun hats
- Masks, goggles, short fins, snorkels can be worn
The following clothing is not permitted while swimming:
- Denim, trousers or jogging bottoms
- Loose fitting T-shirts and tops
- Coats and jackets
- Jumpers and sweatshirts
- Clothing made of inappropriate fabric such as cotton/wool and materials that absorb water
- Weak or non-swimmers should not enter the deeper water and must remain in the shallow areas
- We will direct care-givers to the use of swim nappies for small children
- Swimmers are not allowed to enter the lido water unless a lifeguard is on duty
- Swimmers may only swim within the buoy boundary
- Cameras are not permitted to be used in the changing facilities or within the lido and beach head
- Please do not smoke or vape on the beach head
- Please do not play music on the beach head (this may interfere with safety communications)
- Please do not bring glass and ceramic containers on the beach head
- Taking drugs and consuming alcohol is prohibited within the lido area, including the changing rooms
- We don’t not allow disposable barbeques
- Please take care and consider others, with no running or boisterous behaviour allowed
- Please don’t dive or perform acrobatics or use toys such water pistols
- We aren’t able to lend buoyancy aids or armbands to swimmers
- Please can bathers using buoyancy aids remain in the shallower areas, indicated by depth markers on the pier
- Inflatable pool toys such as lilos and large rings are not permitted
Please read our full booking conditions including details on available facilities and usage rules below.