There has been a playground located in the North East corner of Greenwich Park since the 1940s, welcoming more than 400,000 visitors each year. After decades of play from thousands of children, the much-loved facility has been transformed.
Following phased upgrade work and replacement of old-fashioned equipment, The Royal Parks has opened a bespoke inclusive, modern playground, which will enable even more children to play.
- The high-quality playground follows a maritime theme, reflecting the nautical roots of the World Heritage Site, offering creative play opportunities for children of all ages and abilities. It encourages collaborative and imaginative play through exploration and discovery.
- Play elements are positioned both at ground level and in raised channels of varying height, in order to allow less-abled and able-bodied children to play together. Features include a basket swing, roundabout, and plenty of sand and water play.
- Loose, textured and natural materials such as logs, rope and bark are incorporated into a nature-inspired setting that blends seamlessly with the park’s historic landscape. Planting schemes chosen for scent and colour to enhance a sensory experience.
- The works form part of The Royal Parks Play Strategy, to provide play opportunities for children of all abilities and is part of the legacy of holding the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic events in Greenwich Park.
- The project has been made possible thanks to a generous donation from the London Marathon Charitable Trust and a mix of public and private donations. The Trust has also co-funded a three-year play programme with The Royal Parks in partnership with play organisation, London Play.The Royal Parks has additionally funded a Play Co-Ordinator to deliver the programme.
- Suitable for children up to the age of 12
- Children's toilets including an accessible toilet
- Baby change facilities in the disabled toilet
- Picnic tables and seating areas
- Drinking water fountain
- Kiosk for refreshments
March (GMT) 6am-7pm
March (BST) 6am-8pm
October (BST) 6am-7pm
October (GMT) 6am-6pm
The playground is closed all day on 25th December.