The Buxton Memorial celebrates the abolition of slavery and commemorates the work of the MP Thomas Fowell Buxton.
Buxton campaigned against slavery in parliament and helped to found the British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society to abolish slavery throughout the world.
The monument was first installed on the edge of Parliament Square in 1865 by Buxton's son, Charles. It was moved to the gardens in 1957. The designer was Samuel Sanders Teulon.