The pillars of the Memorial Gates, inaugurated by the Queen in 2002, are dedicated to five million people from the Indian Sub-Continent, Africa and the Caribbean who served or lost their lives in the two World Wars.
They also celebrate the contribution that these men and women and their descendants continue to make to the rich diversity of British society.
The pillars are made from Portland Stone and are carved with the names:
- Sri Lanka
- Kingdom of Nepal.
They are topped by a bronze urn and gas flames, which are lit on special occasions such as Remembrance Sunday, Armistice Day and Commonwealth Day. The names of holders of Victoria and George Crosses are engraved on the inside of the domed pavilion and the major campaigns are listed on two stone benches
The great stone arch, just outside of the park, is the Wellington Arch. It once stood and marked the northern gate to Buckingham Palace. It moved to its present position in 1882.