Greenwich Park's popular rose garden is located on the eastern side of the park and forms the backdrop to the Ranger's House, an elegant Georgian villa which was originally the residence of the Park Ranger.
It now belongs to English Heritage and houses The Wernher Collection, a remarkable collection of works of art amassed by diamond magnate Sir Julius Wernher (1850-1912).
The Rose Garden was originally planted in 1960-61. It was enlarged and replanted in 1993-4 at which time it was enclosed by a yew hedge.
The beds are laid out in a semi-circular design and planted with predominantly hybrid tea and floribunda roses.
Extremely popular with the park visitors, the rose garden peaks in flowering during June and July.