Built in 1930 to commemorate General James Wolfe (1727-1759), this Grade II listed structure was designed by Dr. Tait Mackenzie and a gift from the Canadians.
The statue commemorates Wolfe's victory against the French at Quebec which secured Canada for the British. Wolfe, whose parents lived in Macartney House on the edge of the park, died in the battle.
The monument was unveiled by the Marquis de Montcalm, a descendant of the Commander-in-Chief of French forces who also died at the Battle of Quebec.
Wolfe lived in Greenwich and is buried in a local church.